Saturday, October 03, 2009

Trend I Can Get Down With

Photo source: Style.com
Christian Dior SS10 broke a long-understood fashion 'rule' by showing socks with toe-revealing wedges and heels in lacquered and shiny leather. It's easy for this look to appear awkward and tacky if the shoes themselves look cheap. But personally, I've always loved this apparent fashion no-no. It's even inspired me to sock-n-sandal it for the much-anticipated, Queen of Avant Goth Diamanda Galas show tonight at Pop Montreal. Just don't wear this look to the beach.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, I love that trend...

Journey Home said...

I really like it! Does it matter what kind of shape of legs I have?
Also, what length should the skirt or dress be?

Fashion Minute said...

Sandy - I think this trend is best worn with SHORT skirts or dresses. I find that with a long hemline, the look can appear 'dowdy' very quickly.

As for the shape of one's leg? I don't think it matters. In fact, on shoes with an ankle strap, the socks can be an even more flattering look than going barefoot.

Anonymous said...

Love the look - keeps your feet warm on the nippy days!

Great blog - cool to see someone talking about fashion in an original way.

Journey Home said...

Thanks for the advice. I have the perfect pair of shoes and dress! Now I just need the socks. I'm going sock shopping this weekend!

One more question. Will it work in an office environment that lacks style?

Fashion Minute said...

Sandy: Will anything a bit on the unconventional side of things work in a style-deprived office?

Other people's style malaise should have no impact on your guts to strut! ;)

Mackenzie Yeates said...

I love this look. I'v been looking fr socks like this everywhere!